Transparent GM commands?

General Everquest discussion.

Moderators: Devs, Guides

asfasfasf

Transparent GM commands?

Post by asfasfasf » Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:23 am

Hi all, I was reading about corrupt EQ Emu servers and how the only way to combat it is to have the GM commands go through to Discord so everyone can see what gets done by GMs. Is that something this server could consider?

asfasfasf

Re: Transparent GM commands?

Post by asfasfasf » Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:28 am

I had some fun on p99 but this was the main thing I hoped to get away from on this server.

asfasfasf

Post by asfasfasf » Fri Jul 26, 2019 11:37 am

This was the post and thread by the way. The poster is Haynar who does a lot for EQ Emu.

https://www.firesofheaven.org/threads/r ... st-2889852

eeks
Developer

Post by eeks » Tue Jul 30, 2019 4:49 pm

We're planning to do this. We're currently logging all gm commands, but would like to have a discord bot for them as well. Admittedly, most of mine are used because I accidentally log into live instead of dev :/

asfasfasf

Post by asfasfasf » Mon Aug 05, 2019 1:26 am

Awesome :) Keep up the good work!

LG
Developer

Post by LG » Thu Aug 08, 2019 11:20 am

I hate to destroy any illusions of transparency you may get from this, but this wouldn't really resolve any corruption issue if it were to exist. It won't mitigate any implied corruption, as that can happen in places outside of GM commands.

Even if we implement this, it would likely be for GM/dev eyes.

Edit:

You would have to manage every quest file change, DB change, even GMs doing something like pulling a corpse, getting a target, or simply running to another zone.

I'd much rather be transparent about this now rather than let you get the illusion that seeing the commands will somehow fool-proof the system. It's also a reason why we haven't enlisted any guides just yet.

asfasfasf

Post by asfasfasf » Fri Aug 09, 2019 5:24 pm

Ahh oh well, thanks for explaining. I guess it isn't an easy fix, but at least this server seems to care about it. I think that alone will elevate it above p99 eventually. Maybe not in terms of numbers but at least in respect from the players.

Kambraike

Transparent GM commands

Post by Kambraike » Sat Aug 10, 2019 10:21 pm

Has anyone looked at making the faces that are hidden by clothing transparent/invisible rather than removing the faces, in order to maintain physics properties?

Even better maybe would be to have an alpha mask which could be more precise.